What's New in version 5.2?
Precision Time Protocol
Domain Time II now supports IEEE 1588-2008 Precision Time Protocol (PTPv2).
When using PTPv2, Domain Time II can adjust the system timing upon the receipt of each synchronization packet. This option is enabled
by default, and provides a continuously variable (up to 64 times per second) adjustment of the computer’s time, yielding a much smoother
and more precise alignment than is available with traditional request-response time protocols. Results in the laboratory environment
have achieved sub-microsecond or a few microseconds in accuracy over periods of time exceeding four hours.
Audit Server and Manager
Minor Fixes and Enhancements
Audit Server now supports a new “Standby Mode,” or hot-spare paradigm. You can set up a secondary Audit Server
and have it ready to take over instantly if the primary server goes offline.
- Multiple Real-Time Alert targets can be set for both client and server. You may choose to have both targets
notified, or use the second as a fail-over if the first does not acknowledge the alert.
- Manager now remembers your selections after performing a batch operation and re-highlights
the selected machines.
- Manager now can backup and restore the audit list database, either from the menu or from
the command line.
- See the complete list of upgrades, changes, and recommendations on the
What's New in version 5.1?
- Full support for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7.
- New look and easier to use control panels and interfaces
- Native IPv6 capability
- Support for multicast
- More logging levels and details, easier-to-use log viewer on components.
- Better email alerting and configuration, support for SMTP authentication, html/text MIME types, etc.
- Components that use reference clocks can use multiple time sources and time samples for improved accuracy.
Improvements in Server and Client:
- More accurate and efficient - sub-millisecond accuracy in many cases
- New API and SDK to provide access to hectonanosecond precision timestamps
- Special algorithims to compensate for internal timing changes on newer OS's (Vista, 2008, 2008 R2, Win7)
- Single unified Windows Client (no more need for Thin or Ultra-Thin Clients)
- Can now specify unlimited number of time sources
- Can specify number of time samples to request of time sources for greatly improved accuracy
- Various auto-discovery wizards for assistance in finding and configuring reliable time sources
- Can use Active Directory policy to configure sources and accuracy settings
- Now with full Windows timestamp authentication, can totally replace Windows Time, even on Domain Controllers
- Includes NTP authentication, compatible with all NTP clients and servers
- Improved support for multi-core processor systems
- Improved performance on virtual machines
- Easy access to many advanced clock control settings and clock training on the CPL
- Remote Connection to other Domain Time systems from any Server or Client machine
- Easier configuration: Import/export all settings to an editable .reg template file
- Full settings backup/restore
- Start/Stop Domain Time Service from within Domain Time CPL
- Syslog capability
- SNMP traps and alerts
Improvements in Manager
- Unified display of all machines and systems.
- Fully integrated installation and control of Monitor, Update Server, and Audit Server.
- Much faster and robust discovery of network machines
- Can supply various credentials to connect to multiple domains
- Uses Active Directory to discover machines
- Able to use multicast for discovery on remote subnets
- Uses new standard registry files (.reg) as template files for installation/upgrade/reset configurations of remote machines
- Can install/upgrade and manage both 32-bit and 64-bit machines from one copy of Manager
Improvements in Audit Server
- Audit Server integrates directly into Manager, using the same machine lists and discovery processes. You can select any machine for audit directly from
- Faster, more robust auditing
- More intelligent and flexible email reporting/logging/alerting.
- SNMP traps and alerts
- Real-time alerts of poor synchronization (instead of only at Audit Time)
Improvements in Monitor and Update Server
- Monitor uses multicast for more reliable discovery of remote machines
- Monitor has improved email alerting and formatting
- Update Server integrates completely with Manager, using the same machine discovery lists
- Update Server can use installation template files for custom install/upgrades
...and much more.